Take a PTE Academic test in or nearby Greece
Get to know the most favored universities and programmes to study abroad in Greece.
Greece is located in south-eastern Europe, on the southern end of the Balkan Peninsula. Greece lies at the meeting point of three continents – Europe, Asia and Africa. Athens is the capital and largest city of Greece. Athens dominates the Attica region and is one of the world's oldest cities, with its recorded history spanning around 3,400 years. Athens is widely referred to as the cradle of Western civilization and the birthplace of democracy.
Greece is a democratic country with an advanced economy; some of the most important sectors include trade, education, healthcare, real estate, transport, finance, public administration and hospitality services as the most important sectors.
Greek is the official language, but don’t worry! You shouldn’t encounter language barriers, as most young people in Greece speak English well.Iconic places to visit
While in Greece, you can learn about classical civilization, wander around ancient streets, witness the sites of “Colossus of Rhodes”, and soak in several monuments and archaeological sites from Byzantine churches, to unique villages and castles.
Some of the most popular attractions in Greece are:
- Acropolis in Athens
- Temple of Delphi
- The Parthenon
- Mount Olympus
- Ancient Agora
- Santorini Island
- Meteora Monasteries
- The famous saying “taking the bull by its horns” comes from the Greek myth of Hercules who saved Crete from a raging bull by seizing its horns.
- Athens is one of the oldest cities in Europe and it is known as the birthplace of democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, political science, major mathematical principles, and theatre traditions of tragedy and comedy.
- The blue colour of house roofs and church domes in Greece is used because of an ancient belief that this shade of blue keeps evil away.
- The name of Athens, the city’s capital originates from Greek mythology; Athena gave the city an olive tree as a gift, which gods considered extremely valuable.
- The Greeks greatly influenced the early concepts of science, and most symbols used in physics and higher mathematics are derived from Greek alphabet.
10 most popular study destinations for students in Greece
1. United Kingdom
6. United States