What is the PTE Academic?
The PTE Academic is a computer-based English test offered by Pearson. The test is accepted as proof of language proficiency by universities, governments, and other types of institutions from all over the world.
People usually take the PTE Academic when they want to study or work in an English-speaking country abroad. The test can also be used for migration purposes in Australia and New Zealand.
Although it is computer-based, this English examination can only be taken in a specialised test centre. Currently, there are over 295 test locations in more than 50 countries worldwide.
Format of the PTE Academic
Like other acclaimed English exams, the PTE evaluates the speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills of test takers. There are 3 different sections, but there’s a catch: this is an integrated skill test, which means some sections can test more than one skill at a time.
- Speaking & Writing (77 – 93 minutes)
- Reading (32 – 40 minutes)
- Listening (45 – 57 minutes)
It takes around 3 hours to finish the PTE Academic. If you want, you can also take a 10-minute break between the Reading and Listening parts.
Results of the PTE Academic
One of the stand-out features implemented by Pearson is the use of A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) to assess test takers. But what does this mean?
It means the results are evaluated using complex algorithms. This guarantees that the evaluation is unbiased and 100% objective. Another advantage of this technology is speed – test takers receive their results in less than 5 days after the examination.
Your PTE Academic scores will be ranked from 10 to 90 using the Global Scale of English. While there is no minimum passing grade, each university will establish one for its admission process.
Benefits of taking the PTE Academic
- The evaluation is objective and unbiased thanks to the use of A.I.
- Results are available in less than 5 days after the examination.
- You can use Pearson’s free online tool to share your results with as many universities and colleges as you want.
- Unlike other tests, all sections of the PTE Academic are completed on the same day.
- The speaking skills (included in Speaking & Writing) are evaluated using a computer. Your answers are recorded with a headset and a microphone. This is a great advantage for students who find it difficult to have a face to face conversation with an examiner.
Which PTE Academic test do I need?
PTE Academic is recommended by thousands of universities around the globe and recognised by the Australian and New Zealand governments as one of the best for immigration purposes.
PTE Academic UKVI
Approved by the UK government for all UK visas that require a 4-skill (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening) Secure English Language Test (SELT).
A new two-skill English language test accepted for family, settlement, and citizenship applications.