What is PTE Academic?
PTE Academic is a computer-based English test offered by Pearson. Students all over the world take PTE Academic to prove their language skills as part of their study application process.
People usually take PTE Academic when they want to study or work in an English-speaking country abroad. You can also take the test if you plan to immigrate to Australia, New Zealand, or to the UK.
PTE Academic can only be taken in a specialised test centre. Currently, there are over 350 test locations in more than 116 countries worldwide!
PTE Academic test format
PTE evaluates the speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills of students. The test is made up of 3 different sections, and there’s a big plus: this is an integrated skill test, meaning some sections can test more than one skill at a time. The three sections are:
- Speaking & Writing (77 - 93 minutes)
- Reading (32 - 40 minutes)
- Listening (45 - 57 minutes)
It takes only 3 hours to finish PTE Academic. You also have the option of taking a 10-minute break between the Reading and Listening parts.
PTE Academic test results
Computer-based testing and scoring means that you’re assessed objectively and consistently.
Another advantage is speed – test takers typically receive results within 2 business days after the examination and can book tests up to 24 hours in advance.
Your PTE Academic scores will be from 10 to 90 using the Global Scale of English. There is no minimum pass grade for PTE. Each university sets their minimum accepted PTE score.
Why choose PTE Academic?
- Get an objective and unbiased evaluation
- Results are typically available within 2 days after the examination.
- Schedule tests up to 24 hours in advance, 365 days a year.
- You can use PTE’s free online tool to share your results with an unlimited number of universities and colleges.
- Unlike other tests, all sections of PTE Academic are completed on the same day.
- The test is fully computer-based, including the Speaking & Writing section. Your answers are recorded with a headset and a microphone. This is a great advantage for students who find it difficult to have a face-to-face conversation with an examiner.
Which PTE test do I need?
PTE Academic assesses the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing and provides a score based on the GSE (Global Scale of English). The test is also accepted by thousands of universities around the globe and approved for all UK, Australian and New Zealand visa and immigration categories. Learn more here
PTE Academic UKVI
PTE Academic UKVI is a Secure English Language Test (SELT) approved by the UK Home Office for all UK visas that require a four skills language test.
The only difference between PTE Academic and PTE Academic UKVI is the registration process that complies with requirements from the UK government. It’s important that you book the right test if applying for a UK visa. Learn more here
A two-skills English language test accepted for UK family, settlement, and citizenship applications. PTE Home takes less than 30 minutes to complete. Learn more here