Take a PTE Academic test in or nearby Japan
Get to know the most favored universities and programmes to study abroad in Japan.
Japan is an archipelago in the Pacific Ocean, divided into four main islands: Honshu, Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku. Honshu is home to Tokyo and many of Japan’s other largest cities, including Yokahama, Osaka, and Nagoya.
The meaning of the name Japan is "sun-origin", the reason why the nation is known as the "Land of the Rising Sun". Although the country’s territory is smaller than California, Japan is presently the 10 the most populous country in the world, with 127.3 million people.
From 1970’s to 2010, Japan was the world’s second largest economy. Today, Japan is famous for scientific and technology advance and innovations, especially in the fields of electronics, automobiles, machinery, earthquake engineering, industrial robotics, and biomedical research.
Most locals don’t speak English, so you will have to learn basic Japanese to adjust easier during your stay in Japan.
In Japan, you would experience four distinct seasons, with mild winters and rare snowfalls, humid springs, and very warm summers. In some regions, winters are cold with frequent snowfalls.
Iconic places to visit
Japan is a unique place that offers memorable experiences to any visitor. You’ll be surrounded by skyscrapers and modern restaurants, but you can also take trips to see Buddhist temples that each showcase Japanese history and culture. Additionally, Japan has fantastic natural landscapes so there are plenty of things you can enjoy, both indoor and outdoor.
Some of Japan’s iconic places are:
- The Hiroshima Peace Memorial
- Mount Fuji
- Temple of the Golden Pavilion.
- Imperial Palace Tokyo
- The Island Shrine of Itsukushima
- Osaka Castle
- Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo, Japan’s capital city, is the world’s largest metropolitan area.
- Japan has one of the highest life expectancy, since more than 50,000 people there are over 100 years old.
- Square-shaped watermelons are grown by Japanese farmers for easier stack and store.
- Sleeping on the job is acceptable in Japan, as it's viewed as exhaustion from working hard.
- Japanese people have 20 different ways for saying "sorry."
- The term karaoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.
- Japan is home to over 3,000 McDonald’s restaurants, the largest number in any country outside the U.S..
10 most popular study destinations for students in Japan
1. United Kingdom
2. United States