Take a PTE Academic test in or nearby Russia
Get to know the most favored universities and programmes to study abroad in Russia.
The Russian Federation is situated in the eastern part of the Europe and the northern part of Asia. The capital city of the Russian Federation is Moscow. The population of the Russian Federation is 144 million with a density of 8.7 people per 1 sq. km.
Fun facts about Russia
Quick! When you think of Russia, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? If you said “vodka”, shame on you for being so culturally insensitive! Still, we can’t judge, because, on our research, we uncovered that:
- There are over half a million alcohol-related deaths in Russia each year;
- The word “vodka” comes from the Russian word “voda”, which means “water”;
- During times of economic disparity or high inflation, teachers can be paid in vodka. Teachers only, though, so don’t go asking for a raise at your part-time student job.
Also, besides being huge fans of “water that burns”, you should know that Russians also possess some quirks that can only make you smile and shrug, saying to yourself “that’s Russia for you”. For instance:
- The Imperial Russian Olympic Team arrived in London 12 days late for the games, in 1908, because they were not using the Gregorian calendar yet (not because of the vodka, as we first assumed);
- Japan and Russia still haven't signed a peace treaty to end World War II, due to a territory dispute. So, yes, technically, Russia and Japan are still fighting World War II to this day;
- In 1959, Russian Scientists domesticated Foxes just as if they were dogs. And the best part of this fact? It’s an ongoing project. Guys: foxes can fetch in Russia. This is huge!
- In Megion, a region in West Siberia, the mayor banned excuses. And you have to assume he proclaimed it in the thickest accent ever, while twirling his moustache and laughing maniacally;
- There is a day, Subbotnik, when citizens go out to sweep and tidy up the streets;
- Also, in Russia, there’s a “Temple of all Religions”, where different peoples are welcomed, in order to pray peacefully together;
10 most popular study destinations for students in Russia
2. United Kingdom
3. United States